Tagged by Catholic Mom. I feel so loved.
1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Eggnog. My hips are proof. I’m not a big fan of bourbon, but Bill’s goal is to get me to enjoy his homemade grog. Bill, when you read this, we’re almost out of Maker’s Mark – buy more.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Santa fills the stockings. Sometimes some of the contents are wrapped, but not usually. The presents under the tree are wrapped and are from mom and dad and grandparents and other relatives.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Colored, mostly.
4. Do you hang mistletoe? We did once. It’s poisonous though – gotta watch with little ones.
5. When do you put your decorations up? It’s a gradual process throughout Advent. Advent decorations are up, of course (Jesse Tree, wreath, calendars).
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? I just enjoy indulging in all the food that I limit throughout the normal year.
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: Waking up sometime in the wee hours of the morning and sneaking down to see if Santa had come. I would curl up in a chair and enjoy the lights and the beauty of the tree and the sense of awe and wonder and love. My sister, Barb, tells me she did the same thing, but I never saw anyone else. I did this until I was the one leaving the presents under the tree…and even now, I do it, but before I go to bed.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? My brother told me the “truth” when I was about 7 or 8.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Nope. Christmas Eve is all about the Nativity. We celebrate the incomparable gift of a Savior’s birth.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Lots of colored lights woven inside the tree. Hundreds of ornaments hidden inside and all around. Every Christmas morning, two silver spider ornaments appear, based on a German Christmas legend we read to the kids. And we hang a glass pickle and reward the pickle finder with a prize – usually a book or movie everyone can enjoy.
11. Snow? Love it or Dread it? Love it.
12. Can you ice skate? On my list of things to learn someday.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? I really like the St. Nicholas statue Bill gave me last year. But, hands down, the best gift I ever got was Christmas 1999 when Bill bought me The One Year Guide to the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Sounds boring, but it changed my life.
14. What’s the most exciting thing about the Holidays for you? All the secretive preparations – wrapping presents, hiding boxes, evasive answers and whispering.
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Cookies, especially Russian Tea Cakes and ones with molasses or ginger.
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Having the kids look for the first star on Christmas Eve so we can begin our feast.
17. What tops your tree? An angel.
18. Which do you prefer – giving or receiving? Who would answer “receiving” to this question?
19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? All of them. Well, most of them.
20. Candy canes? Hung magically on the tree after the kids go to bed. I don’t usually eat them myself.